Porcelain veneers fall into the category of cosmetic dentistry because they create bright, white smiles with beautifully aligned, shapely teeth. But dental veneers can also be placed over the surfaces of your teeth to correct worn tooth enamel, uneven tooth alignment, spacing, discoloration and chips or cracks.
Porcelain veneers are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve your appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size, or length.
Veneers are routinely used to fix:
- Teeth that are discolored due to root canal treatment, stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride, or resin fillings that have discolored the tooth
- Teeth that are worn down, chipped or broken
- Teeth that are misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped
- Teeth with gaps between them
Veneers offer the following advantages:
- They provide a natural tooth appearance
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain well
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant
- The color of a porcelain veneer can be selected such that it makes dark teeth appear whiter
Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth’s color and shape; veneers generally don’t require the extensive shaping prior to the procedure that crowns do, yet offer a stronger, more aesthetic alternative. They also do not require any special care. Continue to follow good oral hygiene practices as you normally would. Veneers generally last between 5 and 10 years. After this time, the veneers would need to be replaced.
If you would like to find out more about porcelain veneers, contact Dr. Bartz in Oak Lawn, IL at 708-430-4440 to schedule a consultation. Or visit www.bartzandbartzdental.com for additional information.
Dr. Bartz proudly serves Oak Lawn, Chicago, Orland Park, Burbank, Palos Hills and all surrounding areas.