Brightening your smile is as easy as a simple visit to your dentist’s office for teeth whitening treatment. However, there are many factors that can affect your newly whiten teeth. To help keep your pearly whites as bright as possible after having them whitened you must practice proper oral hygiene. On top of that, there are a few foods, beverages and products you should avoid, especially immediately following your teeth whitening treatment. I’ve compiled a list of things you can do to help you maintain a bright smile after having a teeth whitening treatment, which includes the following:
- Be sure to avoid dark colored drinks, especially immediately after a teeth whitening treatment. Drinks such as black tea, coffee, dark soda and red wine can easily stain your pearly whites. If you do enjoy a cup of joe or black tea every morning, consider using a straw to lessen the exposure of the drink to your teeth.
- Be sure to avoid eating any dark or brightly-colored foods immediately following a teeth whitening procedure. Stick to eating light colored foods such as potatoes, pasta and chicken.
- You should avoid wearing lipstick immediately following a teeth whitening treatment. Lipstick can stain due to the semi-permanent color.
- Be sure to avoid using tobacco products, such as cigarettes and chewing tobacco for at least 12 hours, or 24 hours if you can help it. Tobacco products are known to cause staining, among other oral problems.
- Be sure to practice proper oral hygiene, which involves brushing twice a day and flossing at least once. Brushing and flossing removes plaque buildup that can cause staining.
- Rinse your mouth out with water after every meal to get rid of any leftover food debris that could possible stain your teeth.
After having your teeth whitened, your long term results ultimately rely on your lifestyle choices and how well you keep up with practice oral hygiene. If you follow these advice mentioned above, you should be able to maintain a bright smile for a much longer period.
If you’re pearly whites are looking a little duller than before, contact Dr. Bartz at 708-430-4440 to schedule a consultation to find out which teeth whitening treatment best suits you. Or you can visit www.bartzandbartzdental.com for additional information.